Choosing the right beauty team for your wedding day can be tough! Check out our list for some useful tips.
Photo by Tinky Media
1. Look for artists who have a lot of photos of their work, ideally both professional wedding photos and unedited, high quality cell phone photos and videos. The first thing to determine is if the artist's style aligns with yours! You will find that although many artists can do both natural and full glam looks, it makes most sense to go with someone who specializes in the kind of look you want. For instance, our team specializes in natural beauty - when I receive inquiries asking for full glam, airbrush makeup, I recommend a trusted colleague who excels at that kind of look. She recommends my services to brides looking for a natural look, and all of our clients are happier for it. Finding a good style match between bride and artist is key to a great experience!
2. Details, details, details - When looking at portfolios, don't forget to look closely at each element of the makeup. Is the eyeliner even? Is the blush fully blended out? Keep an eye out for heavily edited skin - zoom in to make sure you can see natural skin texture. Heavily blurred under the eyes can mean the artist has difficulty concealing dark circles and they are using editing to cover it up. Your wedding day makeup is important - make sure to book someone who has the attention to detail necessary to make sure every element will be perfect day of.
3. Read reviews from previous brides! Most makeup artists have a profile on theKnot, WeddingWire, Yelp, and/or Facebook where you can find reviews from previous clients. For example, you can find our team's reviews on theKnot! Reviews can give you great insights into the style and personality of your artist and help you determine if you will be a good fit.
4. Book an artist who communicates clearly and has an easy to understand booking process. Planning a wedding is stressful enough as it is - it's important to work with vendors who will have your back! When you contact your desired artist for a quote, look for someone who responds within a reasonable time frame, answers all of your questions, is easy to talk to and uses a clear booking process with a contract and deposit.
5. Set up a hair and makeup trial! Even if you know you will LOVE your selected artist's work, it's still a good idea to set up a trial so you can test out your day of hair and makeup. Just like trying on your wedding dress, sometimes the look you want initially may not look exactly how you imagined - having a trial allows you and your artist to work out the kinks and get your look absolutely perfect for day of. It's also a great chance to get to know one of the final people you'll be speaking with right before you get married - it can be an emotional time, so it's important to make sure your artist is someone you trust and feel comfortable with.
6. Ask your planner, photographer, friends and family for recommendations. Referrals can be the best way to find trusted wedding professionals quickly! It is very likely one of your wedding vendors or someone in your close circle will have worked with a hair and makeup team they loved. However, hair and makeup is personal - make sure to look at the portfolio of the recommended artist and determine that they align with what you're looking for.
Congratulations on your upcoming wedding and good luck finding the perfect beauty team for you!
If you are getting married in Austin / surrounding areas and are interested in a quote, feel free to get in touch at email@example.com.